Friday, July 26, 2013

Ghostbusters II

 Ghostbusters II (1989)
Directed by: Ivan Reitman
Written by: Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis
Starring: Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Ernie Hudson, Rick Moranis, Siguourney Weaver
Rating: PG
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Here we go again! This is my second sequel review in just a matter of days. Don't worry. I'm not claiming that Ghostbusters II, while dear to my heart, in any way touches the original. It doesn't. But, one of the whole reasons I write this blog is because I feel that critics today are too harsh and cynical, and I try to spin my thoughts and reviews with positivity. Lord knows the world could use a bit of it!

Ghostbusters II is creative. It's fun, and I'll be the first to give credit where it's due. It's a good film. Here is a brief synopsis.

Aforementioned Brief Synopsis:

Since saving the world 5 years ago, the Ghostbusters have faded into obscurity. They all have new jobs, and only become Ghostbusters to be ignored at kids birthday parties. Sooner rather than later, their old pal Dana Barrett (Sigourney Weaver; Avatar) is in paranormal trouble again, and then Ray Stantz (Dan Aykroyd; Ghostbusters), Egon Spengler (Harold Ramis; Year One), Peter Venkman (Bill Murray; Caddyshack), and Winston Zeddemore (Ernie Hudson; Miss Congeniality), along with the help of their accountant-turned-lawyer, Louis Tully (Rick Moranis; Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves), must deal with more adversity as they save the world a second time!


Hope that was brief enough!

My thoughts:

Ultimately, Ghostbusters II doesn't get enough credit. Even I had been avoiding it in favor of the first for the last several years. Upon my latest viewing, however, I re-discovered the magic of the sequel.

Ghostbusters II stacks up to the original in a few ways. Mostly, the use of quick witted, dry comedy that made the first one so funny. Nobody remembers jokes in II because, well, frankly, they aren't as memorable, but they ARE just as fun.

The same character traits which made the characters so loveable in the first place are also extremely present. The sequel versions of the characters really haven't changed that much. Venkman is still witty and over-confident, Ray and Egon still the same loveable nerds, and Louis is the same awkward, nerdy character we all fell in love with the first time around. A new set of circumstances creates a slightly different feel, but if you look closely, you'll find the same Ghostbsuters we all know and love (and maybe a slime ghost, too)!

The next section will be a little different.

Why I think people rag on this film:

Usually this section is dedicated to what I didn't like about the film, but I didn't mind it. I enjoyed it for what it was, and I've always been a Ghostbusters fan. Besides, the films came in a two pack , so who was I to turn it away?!

Anyhow, I think Ghostbusters purists get a little upset about numero dos because (even for the Ghostbusters) it's implausible. It's slightly plausible that in 5 years after they're saving the earth, the people and the government will again reject the Ghostbusters, but that Dana just happened to be out of orchestra and into art restoration, and Lous Tully just happened to have a law degree from night school in addition to his accounting profession. I think all of these elements worked, but for hardcore fans of the original films (myself included), I can see how they would be slightly disconcerting.

Ultimately, I see these "gaping" plot holes as a way to include actors/characters from the original that may not have otherwise been included in the sequel.

Bottom Line:

Obviously, I like this movie anyway. Flaws and all, I accept it for what it is and I enjoy it more with each viewing!

This movie is funny, entertaining, and even a little more family friendly than the first (it has a PG rating despite the PG-13 rating debuting before its release). I recommend you watch if you haven't, and if you have, maybe try to approach it from a different angle, because frankly, Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis and the gang deserve as many second chances as we wil give them. They're all extremely talented and fun to watch!!

Ghostbusters II deserves some respect, and I'd recommend it to everyone. Of course, I'd DEFINITELY recommend seeing the first one first! It's incredible!

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Like GB2? Hate it? Let me know! Let's chat! You can always comment on this blog, or let me know via Facebook or Twitter @archivesreport!! I'd love to know what movies you'd like me to write about, or hear your recommendations as well! Thanks, as always, for reading!

God bless!

NAH

No comments:

Post a Comment