Thursday, May 2, 2013

Serenity

Serenity (2005)
Directed by: Joss Whedon
Written by: Joss Whedon
Starring: Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Summer Glau, Sean Maher, Adam Baldwin
Rating: PG-13
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars


GUYS!!! 



I'm back!!!


I know how agonizing it was for me to have been gone so long, but my life has been crazy! I eventually gave up on most of the Christmas movies I had watched during that season and tried but failed to put out an entry on The Great Muppet Caper... (don't worry, that one is still coming!) but I've spent most of the last few months watching TV Series'....which leads me perfectly into this review, because not too months ago I got hooked on the single season space western, Firefly.

Netflix has been my best friend lately, so it was no different in watching this series. The only complaint I had through the whole series was that there wasn't more of it. In retrospect, I think that it was ahead of its time. With the proper CGI involved, Firefly could still exist! I think Serenity actually helps make that case, since it came out a few years later.

Now, I know this blog is generally based on my ever expanding collection of DVD's (and now thanks to Santa Clause, BLU RAYS) but Netflix only expands that world for me, so I'd be a fool not to utilize the extra material it provides.

All that was to say this: If you haven't watched Firefly, you probably ought not to read this review. You need to be in the loop on this one, but I'll try to keep it generic so those of you will WANT to watch both the series and the movie.

The Film:

If you hadn't gotten it already, Serenity is set when Firefly left off (AFTER THE FIRST SEASON!!! CURSE YOU TELEVISION GURUS!!!!). Serenity is also the name of the Firefly class ship captained by Mal Reynolds (Nathan Fillion; Castle) and served by a rag-tag crew. Simon (Sean Maher; Much Ado About Nothing), a doctor, and his sister River (Summer Glau; Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles) are fugitives from the allied planets and aboard Reynolds' vessel, which can sometimes create tension. I really don't want to give too much away (in hopes that you'll watch all this and discuss it with me sometime) so let's just say Simon and River are running from something bigger than all of them, and however reluctant, Mal has a good crew and a good heart.

My Thoughts:

I'm really starting to dig everything Joss Whedon (The Avengers) has done. He has this uncanny ability to make you laugh, yell, and cry, all from the edge of your seat. Everyone's excited for Avengers 2, but I'm just as excited to see Whedon's take on Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. 

Needless to say, I loved this film. It provided me with a little closure to Firefly, as well as keeping me thoroughly emotionally invested. Whedon's characters have clear wants and needs but they're all incredibly unique, interesting and unpredictable.

The cast was always great, but Fillion, Maher, and Tudyk were the shining stars of this particular endeavor. Glau is perfect as River, and the rest of the cast does a fantastic job as well.

The Conclusion:

Serenity was a great way to round out Firefly. Do I miss it? Sure. But once the Avengers have settled into their roles, Joss Whedon may just toss us a little more action aboard Captain Reynolds vessel, and to that I say "Bring it on". 

If you have not had a chance, watch Firefly, and then if you have two more hours (TO LIVE), watch Serenity. Just a really well made film.


I know it was kind of short this time, guys, but I'm just getting back into it. For now, its back to TV on Netflix, but I will be bombarding you with reviews of films very shortly!

Thanks for reading! I welcome your feedback of any kind. Let's discuss! I love it!

God bless you all! 

NAH

No comments:

Post a Comment