Monday, February 13, 2012

Moulin Rouge

Moulin Rouge! (2001)
Director: Baz Luhrmann
Writers: Baz Luhrmann, Craig Pearce
Starring: Ewan McGregor, Nicole Kidman, Jim Broadbent, John Leguizamo, Richard Roxburgh
Rating: PG-13
My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!

This is my final catch-up entry of the Archives Report, meaning this is the movie I've most recently seen. Amidst a lovely weekend, as part of our Valentine's Day celebration, we watched one of her favorite movies (which I own and had not seen, but we didn't even watch my copy), Moulin Rouge! I was skeptical when she told me she loved it, because I had heard mixed reviews. I'm sometimes skeptical of movies in this particular vein of art direction, as well. However, since they were nominated for a TON of awards, many having to do with the editing and art directing, I let my inhibitions slide away and watched it.

Long story short: I loved it.

In this story a penniless writer, Christian (Ewan McGregor; Star Wars prequels) goes to France and lands with a group trying to sell a show called "Spectacular, Spectacular" to the premiere show-place of 1899, Moulin Rouge. The group is lead by Toulouse-Lautrec (John Leguizamo; Super Mario Bros.) and he accepts Christian into their crew after he has proven himself as a writer. They need to make a pitch to Harold Zidler (Jim Broadbent; Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince), who is the man in charge at Moulin Rouge, so they decide to go through his main attraction, who often earns money in less than "Christian" (see what I did there?) ways, Satine (Nicole Kidman; Batman Forever). A meeting is arranged between Christian and Satine, in which she mistakes him for the Duke (Richard Roxburgh; The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) who produces and finances shows at Moulin Rouge. Christian and Satine fall in love, even though the Duke also desires Satine's affections, and this love triangle turns into a topsy-turvy love story.

Again, not too much plot, just what I think.

Brilliant....
Freaking. Brilliant.

The use of modern music fit the show so well, and the acting (especially on the parts of McGregor and Kidman) was fantastic! I was really impressed with the versatility of John Leguizamo (though I shouldn't be by now) and Jim Broadbent was surprise departure from Horace Slughorn.

In this movie, I hated the villian, rooted for the couple and felt the real emotions of everything that was going on. It was well directed, well acted, and well presented as a whole. Incredibly well done.

Also, who knew Ewan McGregor could SING?! I was blown away by his and Nicole Kidman's singing voices. They were brilliant.

I can't find a word more descriptive than "brilliant" for anything in this movie. I wish I could describe more to you, like all the music they used lines from or the way the presented it artistically but I can't. So I'll post a clip of my favorite song medley below, and tell you to SEE IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!

This is the best medley (in my opinion), The Elephant Love Medley, (that's a hyperlink to YouTube). Watch it and then I dare you to tell me you aren't interested in this one time Best Picture nominee.

Thanks again for reading. Please let me know if you actually are or have any thoughts (coinciding or dissenting)

Peace

NAH

No comments:

Post a Comment